Wednesday, December 28, 2011

325: Photography


We visited the Cleveland Art Museum today, where I was introduced to the work of photographer Brian Ulrich. Now this is a photographer after my own heart. In his artistic statement, he describes his work as an "examination of the peculiarities and complexities of the consumer-dominated culture in which we live." What draws me to Ulrich's work is his ability to document everyday scenes in a way that is rich in both visual interest and narrative value. Take a look at the images of the project featured at the CAM on his website. Truly a fascinating project.


Another factor that appeals to me in Ulrich's photography is our shared interest in the decay of the built world, a theme I have turned to several times over the course of my own project. Like my recent discovery of William Eggleston, this is work that validates my own interests as a photographer. It seems fitting that as the calendar year and soon my year-long project draw to a close, I am finding not only my voice as a photographer but also the existing tradition of the style in which I tend to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment