Sunday, March 27, 2011

49: Through the Looking Glass


A little voyeurism.


I have heard one opinion that including a bit of a person, who happens to be me, is too much and unnecessary, that the idea of voyeurism is clearly expressed without it. What do you think?


My son spent part of the afternoon drawing, coloring, and cutting out grass and handprint flowers, then taping them to the wall (with my help) to create a mural of sorts. Here it is reflected in a framed print of Albrecht Durer's Knight, Death and the Devil. I like the contrast of the bright colors and tools of creation at the table with the gloom and dark monochrome of the print.


4 comments:

  1. Love the last shot and "too much of one's self?" Never, but I guess it depends on what you are comfortable with and finding a balance. Showing yourself authentically is beautiful and interesting to people wanting to know you better, that's just my opinion;)

    I love how you are warming up to the idea and giving us shots of your bathroom. It's not you showering but I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that certainly stirs up some ideas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Amy actually just ask to see a picture of you in the shower? ;) It's interesting to see you unfolding yourself, since you're a private person. I'm thinking about Susan Singer's work re: women's bodies and wondering, how would we define "too much"? Sometimes a photo is better without a human present, sometimes flesh is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about Susan's work a bit, too, lately. I feel like I'm ultimately moving toward some self-portraits-- eek!

    ReplyDelete